Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.
1:20 P.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Please read the information below before scheduling an appointment.
Fees | Cost
We ONLY accept CASHIER'S/CERTIFIED CHECKS and MONEY ORDERS
- Electronic Ohio BCI&I - $35
- Electronic National FBI - $44
- Electronic Combined BCI&I/FBI - $59
- Inked Fingerprint Card (up to 2 cards) - $35 ($5 for each additional card)
- Law Enforcement Academy - $10
- Juvenile ITN Fingerprints - No Charge
- LEADS check for non-law enforcement personnel - $15
What to Bring
- Identification (driver's license, state ID, birth certificate, social security card or passport). You must also be able to provide your social security number.
- Cashier's check or money order made payable to the Wayne County Sheriff's Office for the appropriate amount. We do not accept cash, credit cards or personal checks.
- For electronic prints - the address where the results will need to be sent (this cannot be your home address).
- The Request for Background Check form
- A parent or guardian must accompany anyone under the age of 18 unless the court has mandated the fingerprints.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get a copy of my prints after my appointment?
- No. We cannot send background check results anywhere after they have already been submitted once. You will need to come in for another appointment and have your prints taken again. We do not keep fingerprints on file.
- You may request a copy of your results from the employer or agency where the results were initially sent.
How long do my fingerprints stay on file with BCI and/or FBI?
- BCI and FBI results are good for one year.
How long does it take for my fingerprint results to come back?
- BCI is required to have the results within 30 days.
- There is not a requirement for FBI, but they usually come back within two to two and a half weeks if there is no criminal background.
Can I have a copy of my fingerprint results sent to my home address?
- Only if the reason you are being fingerprinted is coded under an ORC code and is not just for your own information.
- Ask the WebCheck officer if you have further questions about this.
My results have not been received and it has been longer than the required time frame. What can I do to make sure my fingerprints were received?
- For BCI prints, you can call their office at 877-224-0043 and press 7.
- For FBI prints, you can call 330-625-9450.
I have had trouble getting my fingerprints taken electronically in the past. Is there anything I can do to make sure they are submitted successfully?
- The Wayne County Sheriff's Office is required by the State of Ohio to attempt taking fingerprints electronically two times with two rejections before taking ink prints. Once you receive a letter from the State or FBI stating your prints were not successfully submitted both times, bring the letters with you to your appointment and let us know that you are unable to give successful electronic prints. We then take your ink prints for free.
- We recommend that if you have had trouble with electronic fingerprinting in the past, you may want to hydrate or moisturize for two to three days before your appointment and avoid using hand sanitizer as it tends to dry out your hands.
How do I know what kind of background check I need?
- You will need to determine which background check is required based on the type of license and/or reason you are being fingerprinted. The Wayne County Sheriff's Office is NOT responsible for determining what background check is needed for each individual transaction.
I need another copy of my BCI fingerprints sent to the same location where they were originally sent. What do I need to do?
- It costs $8 paid to BCI and you need to call the BCI office at 877-224-0043 and press 7.
If I am getting a cashier's check or money order for more than one person, is one check okay for everyone or do we need individual checks?
- One check is fine.
I have made more than one appointment for me and a friend or family member, but all of the appointments are under one name. Is this a problem?
- This is not a problem. Just let us know when you arrive for your appointment. If you made more than one appointment in error please be sure to cancel the appointment you do not need so we can make that time available for another applicant. This can be accomplished by logging back into the scheduling system and canceling it from there by hovering over your name in the upper right corner, clicking on My Appointments and then clicking on Cancel Appointment on the appointment you would like to cancel.
I have made my appointment online and have not received a confirmation email. What do I do?
- If you followed the steps to make an appointment online and still have not received a confirmation e-mail, make sure that you have “booked” the appointment. If you have successfully done so, you will receive a message that says, “Appointment confirmed”. If you do not receive this message, you will need to try making the appointment again.
Do you take walk-ins?
- We only accept WebCheck transactions by appointment. Our schedule is booked quickly and we do not have enough time between appointments to take walk-ins